McClure-Schafer-Lankford was established in 1892 when Joseph W. Doudna moved from Chesterhill, Ohio to Marietta, Ohio. He opened his first funeral parlor three years later, at 5 Tiber Way. This location served as a store front for his casket business. At this time, most funerals were held in-home.
Walter McClure entered into a partnership with Doudna in 1916. The business was then renamed Doudna & McClure Funeral Home. Their partnership continued to thrive Doudna retired in 1932. Walter McClure proceeded to operate the business until his passing in 1973.
His daughter and son-in-law, Genevieve and Jim Schafer, assumed ownership following his death. They renamed the business the McClure-Schafer Funeral Home a few years later. Jim stepped up as the managing funeral director until his passing in 1999.
In 2001, a veteran employee became the new managing funeral director. The name was then changed to McClure-Schafer-Lankford Funeral Home. Genevieve maintained an active role in the home until she retired in 2007. Today, the business is actively managed by Dennis and Kyle Lankford.